Blogging is one of the trendiest online activities nowadays. If you search the web today, there are millions of blogs covering different niches. There are so many advantages to owning your own blog.
- You will have a platform for sharing useful information
- You will become a better writer
- Interaction with others becomes easy
- You can make money from your blog
- Researching becomes a part of you
- You have the best medium to express your views
Blogging is not as hard as you think. If you are thinking of starting a blog but not sure of what to do, this article is for you. As you read on, you will understand why. With the steps below, you can start writing and posting in a few hours.
Start a Blog with These Easy Steps
1. Decide on the niche
The first thing you must do is to decide on the niche your blog will cover. There are many areas you can blog about, such as news, fashion, technology, romance, food, animals, education, celebrity lifestyle, etc.
No matter the niche you decide to go into, it must be something that will fill a need for your audience. If your niche is something that people really need but can’t find, you can be sure that many people will visit your blog. So you must do thorough research before deciding on what to blog about.
Another thing you have to consider before picking a niche of interest is that you must be passionate about it. If you love fashion, why leave it and blog about food? Someone who hates gossip doesn’t have any business blogging about celebrity news. The temptation may be there to do it since many bloggers are making it in that niche but remember; if you are not passionate about it, you will not give it your best.
The last thing to consider before choosing a niche is the profitability of that area of interest. Even though passion is important, you will have to remember that making money is one of the perks of blogging. If your niche is interesting, many people will visit your site and as such, monetizing your blog will be easy. So you must be careful while choosing a niche and with the above criteria, you will make the right decision.
2. Choose and register a domain name
After deciding on the niche for your blog, the next thing is the name that your blog will bear. A domain name is the address to your blog. It is the name which visitors will type into a search engine and it will bring them directly to your blog. While choosing a domain name, there are few things you must keep in mind:
• It must be unique
• The shorter the better
• It should be snappy and easy to remember
• Avoid using dashes or underscores
• Make it SEO-friendly by incorporating a keyword to your niche
When you have chosen a domain name, the next thing is registering it to avoid the long names you get when using free platforms like Blogspot or WordPress. You have two options at this point. If you want to get a cute and short domain name that will meet all the requirements of a good name, you need to spend a few dollars. If you are using the free blogspot platform, your domain name must have blogspot.com or wordpress.com at the end.
Opt for a domain ending with .com, as you will only have to spend few dollars to acquire it. The good thing about this is that visitors will easily remember your blog name and will also take you serious.
We recommend namecheap.com to register your domain name. You can use namemesh.com to help you come up with ideas on a domain name to register.
3. Host your blog
There are two options available when it comes to web hosting. You can go for free hosting using BlogSpot and WordPress or you can go for the shared hosting on ipage, InMotion, SiteGround, BlueHost, or A2.
Keep in mind there are some negatives when you operate on a free website.
• Your domain name will be longer or you will pay yearly for a shorter version.
• The website will advertise on your blog.
• The security may be compromised.
• You will not have total control of your blog.
• Making profits from your blog will be hard.
4. Set up the blog
After deciding on where to host your blog, the next thing is to set up the blog on the platform. Follow these steps to set up:
• Login to the host
• Select the suitable plan
• Type in the domain name you have chosen in the left box and click next (if you already have one, type it into the right box)
• If your name is unavailable, other options will pop up for you to choose from
• If you successfully get a name, the next page is for billing and your details will be required to pay for your plan
• After this, you will login to your account using your domain name and password
• Once you are there, the next thing is to install WordPress
• After installation, click on “view credentials” and write down your login information.
5. Design your blog
Customize your blog to fit your niche and style. You must change the look of your blog to be as you want it in theme, designs, color, and installing new plugins/features. In order to select the theme you want, hover your mouse on “Appearance” on the sidebar and click on “Themes.” When you find a theme you love, click “Install.”
After this, you can now install the features that are necessary on your blog like the contact forms, newsletter forms, etc. Hover your mouse on “plugins” on the sidebar, click on “Add new,” select the plugin you want, click on “Install now” and “Activate plugin.”
6. Start writing
Now that you have successfully set up your blog and customized the look and feel, you can now start posting. All you need to do is:
• Click on “Posts” on the left side menu
• Click on “Add new”
• Add title
• Write your post
• You can also add an image by clicking on “Add media” and positioning your cursor where the image will appear
• You can also add a link by clicking on the chain-like icon on your sidebar.
• Publish your post or save as a draft after writing
Now you have started blogging. Make sure you are frequent in your blog posts so that your visitors will keep coming back.