Do you want to retire healthy and happy and enjoy a blissful retirement? If you can find reasons, occasions and time to smile, or even laugh out loud, you will live a long and healthy life as a retiree. It is a fact that humor is good for your health, and I am going to provide you with reasons why this is so.
If you have a good sense of humor, you can easily laugh at other people’s jokes and also make others laugh as well. Laughter is also contagious. I can’t imagine someone keeping a straight face when people around them are rolling around in laughter.
What is Humor?
Humor is the tendency to provoke laughter in others and within you as well. A good sense of humor enables an individual to experience joy even in the face of adverse situations. Humor engineers people to find things funny, laugh out loud or simplify things easily.
Humor and laughter work hand in hand because laughter is the physical manifestation of humor. If you find something funny, you can either smile or laugh depending on your perception.
Everyone needs a good sense of humor so we can laugh out loud sometimes, because when you do, there are a number of benefits that you will enjoy.
Why laugh at all?
Laughter has always been referred to as good medicine for the body.
• Studies suggest that laughter increases the production of “happy hormones” released in our brain, thereby relieving stress.
• As we laugh, we take in more oxygen than usual, and our heart and lungs are stimulated, thereby improving circulation and boosting our energy and decreasing tension and stress. It improves your pain tolerance. After a good laugh, you can easily forgive and forget.
• It builds and maintains good relationships. Happy people have more friends and as a retiree, friends are not a bad idea.
Humor is good for your health. There are so many health benefits of laughter that you need to harness as a retiree. Remember that one of the challenges of the elderly is bad health, and if there is a way to improve your health as you age, there is no need to resist.
Health benefits of humor
• It protects the heart. If you are someone with a good sense of humor, your heart will bear fewer burdens and also function well. Physiologically, laughter enables the heart to pump more effectively. Research shows that the effects of a good laugh are much like that of aerobic exercise, sans the muscle aches and pains. This activity alone protects you against heart attacks.
• It boosts your immune system. As an elderly, one of the challenges you will face is the weakening of your immune system. If you decide to have a happy retirement and develop a good sense of humor, you will improve your immune system.
Anytime you are amused or laugh at something funny, stress hormones decrease while immune cells and infection-fighting antibodies boost your immune system response.
• A good sense of humor expressed through heart-felt laughter triggers the release of the natural feel-good chemicals known as endorphins. This chemical is known to temporarily relieve pain and promote a sense of well-being in humans.
• A good sense of humor enhances your emotional health and helps you to keep an optimistic and positive outlook on things even in the midst of loss, difficult situations and disappointments.
Many people find it difficult to cultivate a good sense of humor. There are simple things you can do to be a humorous and happy retiree who fights off disease and remains healthy for a long time.
• Try as much as possible to take things easy.
• Surround yourself with easy-going individuals.
• Pay more attention to children and mimic them sometimes.
• Learn to laugh at yourself.
• Count your blessings.
Rome was not built in a day. Start somewhere today and develop a good sense of humor if you want to enjoy a happy retirement.