When it comes to dating, the person you should always start with is the one staring right back at you in the mirror. Ever heard the expression that you can’t really be happy with someone else until you are happy with yourself? As cliché as this may sound, it really does hold true. It is so important to take a deep look inward before venturing out into the dating world. Welcome to the five questions you need to know about dating before you begin.
Here are 5 essential questions to help guide you:
1. What am I looking for at this stage in my life? This is one of the most important questions you need to know about dating. Are you newly single and just looking for companionship at this point? Are you in search of your soul mate? Maybe you aren’t exactly sure what you are looking for, but you want to test the waters of what the dating world is like after 50. All of these answers are totally acceptable. The key is to give this question some serious consideration before getting out there so you can find just what you are looking for.
2. What are my deal breakers? We all have them. Maybe it isn’t something that you’ve thought about before, or perhaps you have a very strong sense of what these are. Either way, this is an important question to ask yourself before pursuing a new love interest. Would you date a smoker? What about someone with kids? Is it important that your love interest have the same religion as you? Do they need to be an outdoor enthusiast like you are? While I always encourage folks to remain open-minded when it comes to potential love matches, deal breakers are called just that for a reason.
3. Am I ready for a relationship? Whether you are simply looking for companionship or the ultimate love of your life, when pondering the questions you need to know about dating after 50, this is certainly worth some critical thought. Are you in a place in your life where you are ready to welcome another person into it? You are the only person who can really answer this question and if you aren’t sure, dating it may not be quite time. After all, the only way to really open yourself up to the possibility of love is to first be happy with who and where you are in your life, right?
4. Do I want to start dating for the right reasons? Have you recently broken up with someone and are trying to fill that void in your life? Do you think that you can only truly be happy when you are in a relationship? Are you unsure of who you really are and need to be part of a relationship in order to feel whole and give yourself a sense of identity? If you answered yes to any of these questions, chances are that what you really need to do is some serious soul searching before bringing someone else into your life.
5. What are my boundaries? Emotional or physical, we all have our own comfort zones and boundaries. So what are yours? Are there certain things or places you just won’t go or that you require? Figure out what your boundaries are and stick to them. You need to do what is comfortable for you and respect that in your potential partner as well.
This is crucial to think about as far as questions you need to know about dating ahead of time to ensure you are basing your decisions on what works for you and not just for someone else.