We’ve all experienced it. That mix of emotions you feel as you embark on your first date with a potential love interest. There’s that lump in your throat and the flutter in your chest as you flip flop between nervousness and excitement in anticipation of the unknown. When emotions are heightened in this way, it can be easy to inadvertently say or do things that you may not normally do. Following are 5 first date mistakes to try to avoid.
The 5 First Date Mistakes to Avoid
- The Spanish Inquisition. First dates are your opportunity to get to know one another. It’s a time to learn about each other’s interests and determine if there is chemistry between you. While asking questions is great as it shows you are interested in what the other person has to say, too many questions can feel more like an interrogation than casual ‘getting to know you’ conversation. Try to find that happy medium between keeping things light and taking the time to get to know your date to determine if you mesh well together. As far as the five first date mistakes go, this is one you want to be sure to avoid.
- Phone Dependency. As a rule of thumb, it is generally considered rude to be constantly checking your cell phone while on a date. It will make the person you are with think that you are uninterested in what they have to say or that you are bored and care more about whatever is on that little screen than what is right in front of you. Keep the phone on silent in your bag. You would be doing both yourself and your companion a disservice not to give the date your full, undivided attention it deserves.
- Overdoing it on the Wine. With those first date jitters, it can be easy to drink a bit too quickly or too much to calm the nerves. This is one of those five first date mistakes you definitely want to steer clear of. Not only can alcohol cloud your judgement, causing you to act in ways you may not typically act, but it can also place you in unsafe situations without your realizing. Both for your own safety and integrity, as well as for the potential of sacrificing an otherwise great date, lay off the booze. Trust me, you’ll be glad you did.
- Ignoring Ambiance. When choosing a location for your first date, there are certain factors that are important to consider. Is the place loud or crowded? Is it too dark or maybe too bright? These are all factors that could have a negative effect on your experience. You want to be able to hear your date, see them and be in a comfortable setting where you will both be able to relax and take the time to get to know one another.
- Being Rude to the Waiter. Of the five first date mistakes to avoid, this one should be a no brainer. Whether you are on a date or not, you should always treat people with respect. This is especially true when interacting with service personnel at a bar or restaurant on your date. The way you treat others, says a lot about your character and by being rude, you are not only putting bad juju out there into the world, but are sure to lose some major points with your date. Bottom line, be kind and always tip well – something both the waitstaff and your date will appreciate.